Thursday, August 11, 2016

Just keeping in touch with our Bougainville network


All,

I have just returned from an extended stay on Bougainville. I went there to say goodbye to my old friend, Tony Korokoro. Sadly he was hanging out for a visit from me, promised for June but this we could not achieve. However it is my belief that all of us are comfortable that we have parted as best we possibly could.  The final feast and good byes took place, several weeks later, without me.

There were so many other people, on Bougainville who I was anxious to see and spend time with, including Tony`s family. Fortunately, I was able to extend my original plan by a week.

Recently returned from Vietnam, I arrived in Bougainville in April `70 to take up an appointment with Bechtel. I had been significantly delayed in Perth because of a motor vehicle accident, in April `69. On arrival in Panguna, I immediately set about building friendships, learning pidgin, playing football  and just, in general, soaking up the local culture. At the time is was also soaking up more than my share of a brew that was served up to us in little green bottles. During my visit I have found that many of these early linkages remain intact.  Everyone will have a different take on the situation that exists in Bougainville, today.  Those who have not recently visited can be forgiven for swinging towards the negative. I have come away tremendously optimistic that one day, the island will return to prosperity and that the opportunities for education and employment will be as they were back in the 80`s.  It will take time but I can recognize that starts have been made on several fronts.  The mine may factor in these calculations then it may not. There was much discussion about the Primary Sector. There has been extraordinary increases in the prices of some of the traditional commodities. Tourism is going to be a strong income stream for future Governments.

It is for tourism that I will reserve my parting words. For a period of more than 10 years I was the custodian of all matters, BCL – Expatriate Personnel Recruitment. I had managers that gave me plenty of room to make decisions (thanks Mauri, Stewie and Joe) and we enjoyed the best leadership that any organization in the Resources Sector could wish for. Some of the best remembered (from my memory bank) were PWQ, DCV, John Boland (Bechtel), JRT, MBP, George, Mike Blackwell, Ron Kay, John Barnham, Peter Taylor, Ian Garside, Bob Cornelius, Bill Davis and Jim Holt. I believe that I am qualified to make this statement because of my 25 years recruiting for other organizations. In a conversation with our MD, in the early`80`s, he said that I must not be driven to put aside high quality individuals who did not quite fit within the PD, the salary scales, the number of children and / or any other limitations. It was always nice to commence working on a shortlist knowing that you have such a brief in your back pocket. I believe that we were able to attract the services of many quality people who would otherwise have been lost to us.

So many of these quality people are edging towards retirement and they are reflecting as to where they spent their best years. Bougainville is invariably at the top of their list. I am being asked as to how they might be able to assist in returning Bougainville to prosperity. I am being careful in my response but I am completely safe in recommending that each Bougainvillean and each non-Bougainvillean write to several former friends and workmates from both heritages.  If you come away with the same feeling that I now possess then we have made a huge first step and you will already have assisted us towards that elusive state of prosperity. Since I first began drafting this note Rio have divested their interest in BCL.  My fondness for Rio and their conservative approach to the management of their many business interests has kept me close to a procession of their senior managers and former managers.  Rio`s departure is no reason for us to ignore our contribution to the Bougainville peoples` medical and education needs. I sincerely hope that I can maintain close contact with Peter and Brad. We are delighted to see Rob Burns back in the management mainstream.

My Visit to Bougainville note provoked a rush of responses, some of them most interesting and such that I am strongly compelled to share them to your desk.  Others I will just include in the Blog.

I have mentioned elsewhere that I became disorientated, during a storm, when walking the road to Tony`s village, in behind Arawa town.

I passed a sign on the road noting the locality of the St Peter Chanel, Piruana Primary School.  On my first visit I did not stop. I noted only that there were several stand alone classrooms and a couple of houses.  On the second trip I had, I was accompanied by Graham Buckland and Eugene Korokoro. During this visit we had a swim in the Bovo, upstream from Three Rocks, bringing back memories of their childhood activities in this beautiful location.

The Piruana school was established in 1969.  Today it has 7 teachers and 171 students and they run from Grade 1 to Grade 8.   The school is situated only a 20 minute drive from the centre of Arawa. During the revolution it was almost totally destroyed. In 1997 it was reopened by the late school teacher, Joseph Deasi and BOM Chairman, Joseph Berengke. It was the second school, after Bovo that was reopened. The Bougainville people are driven to rehabilitate their children`s education prospects back to some form of normalcy.  They have been supported by various funding initiatives and organizations, over the years, the most recent being associated with the visit of the huge American aid facilitation vessel that visited the Region, last year. You can imagine the surprise within the local population when a team of carpenters swept in from the sea.  It was the Americans who left for us, on a plaque, at one of the new classrooms, a fascinating story, for all of us to read. Hitherto I had not been aware that Australia`s highest military decoration had been awarded to an Australian soldier in the Bougainville campaign. Reg Roy Rattey was an Acting Sergeant with the 25th Battalion. Rattey was leading an ambush on the Buin Road. Details of this man`s citation are set out below.   I can claim some knowledge of jungle ambushes. His force would have less than 20 strong. When I walked the “old Buin road”,  back in 1970 I most likely walked though the ambush position.  I will check out the history of the 25th and obtain more details. I wish that I had read the citation earlier. Sergeant Rattey lived from 1917 to 1986. I will endeavour to link with his surviving kin.  I was employed on the copper project for the last 16 years of his life.

When meeting with the management of medical and education facilities and when pressing them to prioritise for us, an understanding of their most pressing needs, the most mentioned response was, invariably, staff housing. This has become the most critical issue.  In general, as we moved south to central and southern Bogainville we recognized that the housing issue became more critical. In fact, in this region many community needs are right off the scale.

While in Arawa I linked with the Headmistress of the Piruana Primary School, Agatha Tarcusy.  I spoke to Agatha of my meeting with one of her staff, Grace Gaunala. On our second visit to the school we met Grace and she scampered up a ladder onto the roof of a classrooms to pick a pawpaw for us.  I had this every morning for the rest of our stay.  I will now link again with Agatha via e`mail to clarify some of the project documentation”.  Richard, i will ask you to assist me in this regard. By the way we have settled up for the miscellaneous Government charges associated with Container #5. There is no expectation that your fledgling club we will meet these costs. All that we ask from you is that they materials find their way to where they are most needed.

Many of our number are becoming “grey nomads”.  The reason that Keith and Carol Sherwood did not make the Reunion was because they were touring Victoria.  They have established a small network of hospitals and medical facilities in the Sunshine Coast hinterland.  They have an understanding with their clients that they call by monthly (or whatever) to gather surplus medical materials.  Their first shipment of materials was gratefully received by the hard working staff of Arawa Hospital, see photos.  The Surgeon, Dr Joe Velosi was present on this occasion.  Thank you so much, Keith and Carol, for your time and effort.

 If you find yourself connected to a medical facility either at home or when you are on holiday do not miss an opportunity to drop the question about surplus medical materials. If they respond to the positive then one of us can then follow through, either with your contact or with the school / medical clinic`s Manager Assets or the Manager Engineering

More reminiscing around Bougainville, taim bipo.

Last month we completed our reunion season with runs into Bundaberg and Peregian Beach and then,  I enjoyed lunch with Charlie and Helene Greenhalgh.  Charlie arrived in Bougainville in the same month as myself, April, 1970. He arrived prior to the devastating landslide and I came in just subsequent to it.  I was with Bechtel and lived in Camp 3, in Panguna and Charlie went to Nairovi / Camp 5 with MKF (Morris Knudsen and Fluor).

Charlie,

Appointed as a Plant Operator on the construction of the PMAR Charlie went on to become a Plant Serviceman. There was a short stint with Barclays and then he accepted a career defining appointment as a Camp Manager with SHRM. The interview with the legendary Bruce McCarthy that preceded this appointment must feature, even for early Bougainville, as one of the most unusual on record.  Quite understandably Bruce put it to his middle manager, Mike Herrington, “what the (expletive) does plant operations and maintenance got to do with camp management.” It is history that Charlie went on to be one of Mike`s stars in this role. Maintaining control and discipline in these single camps was a challenge.  The breweries ensured that there was always available, copious quantities of the demon, drink. Stan, you should be ashamed of yourself. Then there were those pesky bookmakers to contend with. For several years I lived in fear that I would be captured by the “House Detective”, one Colin Brown.  I would love to see Col again. I believe that he lives in Bermagui, NSW. We send our fondest regards to the B60 Nursing Sister / Medical Manager, Ann Brown. In the early days Ann`s Monday mornings were extremely busy. I remember that Monday mornings were often a time of significant poor health. Charlie, we could do a road trip, bypassing all of the cities.

One day Charlie, the new appointed Camp Manager at Camp 6, picked up a call on his radio;

“Charlie can you go to the mess and see if the fillet mignon is  ready to be  picked up.. . . . . . . . not an unusual request as we supplied food for functions in Panguna and elsewhere.  However the chef knew nothing about this order, so I got back on the radio and told the caller.......there was silence...followed by laughter...for all to hear.....Charlie we are looking for Philip Mignon?  Philip is a carpenter working in the mess and we want to know if he has finished his job.”

It took a long time for Charlie to live that one down!!!

Charlie fancies himself some, as a golfer.   Since he turned 70 he has achieved 3 x Holes in One and 2 x Eagles. Charlie plays a lot of golf !  Sometimes Helene forgets what he looks like.

Helene,

Charlie and Helene married in October ‘ 69 and she arrived to join Charlie, in Nairovi in the January, 1975.  Charlie had by then obtained permission from prominent landowner, Henry Moses to build their saksak house, near to the MKF workshop, see attached. Over time this accommodation became rather too isolated and the Greenhalghs became full time house-minders, in Arawa. They attended the Tunuru parish church, see attached and for a considerable time they were the only white faces in the congregation. Young Michelle was quite a novelty amongst the local girls and Helene would see little of her when attending the church.

Featured in these photos is the much-loved Adam Gasior who we lost to cancer, several years ago.  Charlie can recall the names and the circumstances of many of his subordinates featured in his album. We talked about William Roho and Michael Manopen.  Here are some more shots of these long time subordinates of Charlie, Adam and Mike. William now holds a senior role in the government of the ARB. Well done William. We trust that you are enjoying these photos.

At Peregian we again enjoyed the hospitality of the management and staff of the Malagas cafĂ©. The hosts there are Ross and Lesley Superina and they always do it well.  Many of our targets were traveling but we still gathered in a strong, dozen or so starters. Again, this year, we had Horst and Dick Thurgood then there were Neil and Bev Prideaux, Murray and Lynne McCallum, Rhonda and Barry Deans, Rae Smart, Mick Hamer, Jim Bishop and Ted.  There was a last minute cancellation from Kiwi.

In Bundaberg we caught up with Keith Widt, Peter Booth, Nev Bruer and his delightful wife, Denise, and the ageless, Kevin Groom”. Like many of us Kev will be feeling the loss of our dearest friend, Father Barnham.   Have you seen the writings about the works performed by Cathy Booth, at the orphanage, in Uganda ?  It is a most wonderful story. I stayed overnight, in Hervey Bay with Jim and Wendy Murren.  Jim was my roommate in Camp 3.  I was so lucky. When you are sharing a donga of a couple of metres square then it is fairly important that one gets along with one`s roommate. I also made a stop at Mt Perry at the abode of Ray and Judy Stiles.  We enjoyed a counter lunch at the local pub. You should all  be aware that Ray has earned his stripes in the Removals business.

I have regaled Mick Hamer with tales of Wakunai as it is in 2016.  His little white house still sits adjacent to the main Buka road.   Likewise Rae Smart was advised of my escapades in Buka including around my meetings with Sister Lorraine, Agnus Titus and the other elements of  the extremely robust Bougainville women`s rights fraternity.  Rae is a fellow Rotarian but based on the Sunshine Coast.  Others on board were Evan and Meroli Mawdsley and Bill and Gwen Koch, both of these families are in the “regulars” category. I can report that Geoff and Anne Hocking look a million dollars. Thanks for the little presie, Geoff.  My son, Paul is delighted. Geoff please send us all of your new Aussie phone numbers.

We have been corresponding with Ross and Jasmina Pascoe. We wish them all the very best and, in particular, we wish their grandson, Andy our very best.  Little Andy is extra special, he is autistic .”

While Ted is here in the East we are going to do small gatherings in Bundy and at Super`s restaurant, in Caloundra. We will put it on Super to attend next years` picnic.  I am sure that Lesley would appreciate the break.  These days Ross has a little mate, on wheels, who follows him everywhere.

Another couple with a long history in Bougie are the Standens, Blossom and Sniff.  It was really good to see them again.  We chatted about several mutual friends including Barney and Blue and the Chenalls, who we have stayed with, in Launceston.  The boys are chips off the old block . . . . . . . .  now into senior appointments in mining and quarrying and, in general, making their own way in the world. Any one of us would be proud of producing these young men.

As I refine this note ready for dispatch, we have a significant part of our team, in Townsville, packing out containers numbers 6 and 7. Stan has managed to gather an excellent team for the occasion. Detail will be sent to you in the next newsletter. It has become something of a family affair. Graham Buckland is our Project Manager. Luke Forrester our Removals Supervisor. We have John Feltham assisting with the manifesting. I have heard mention that John Gretton and Fonso are with us. There are others.  Christine Buckland has connected with us. Details will be shared with you next time. This sounds like an exciting initiative.

John F, we are anxious to hear from you about your research on the Catalina  and it`s crew. Can I suggest that you develop a project team. I will take the liberty of nominating Graham and myself. I have not yet cleared this with Graham. I would be pleased to make my way to Townsville to attend your meetings. Rocky may also like to be a part of it.

Last week Chrissy and I were in town and we spotted Ray and Fran Leddick in a restaurant. We joined them for a cuppa. Ray is going through a difficult time healthwise, our thoughts are with you guys, please call us if we can help in any way.

Can I please share with you all that I am submitting to a surgery procedure called, “Anterior Cervical Decompression (ACDF) Surgery” 
 In my case these works will take place in C4 – C5, C5 – C6 and C5 – C7. A non-medical person may say that I am suffering from a severe “Pain in the Neck” there are others who may say that I am a “Pain in the Neck !  It is predicted that I will be obliged to slow down some. We will see about that bit...  I will enter hospital on the 15th August and be home on the 19th.  Please . . . . . . . no flowers !  The surgeon has indicated it will be months, not weeks, that I will be unable to drive or sit at a desk, so there will be silence from this desk for some time.  Danni will still be around via info@johndavidson.com.au  If there is anything pressing, eg a death of someone in the Bougie network, please advise her and we will endeavour to notify you all, but we may need some assistance with information as I may be unable to put something together, so any assistance will help Danni greatly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
If you live in the northern suburbs of Brisbane, you are a veteran of the Bougainville campaign, you have philanthropic leanings, you are under-occupied, you can boast some secretarial skills and you have some knowledge of matters, communication and IT, then please give me a call soon.
 

Also, we have many many more photos on our blog, so please visit it and take a look - http://johndavidsonbougainville.blogspot.com.au
Regards
Davo
 

From: Sue Brittain
Date: 10 August 2016 at 8:24:46 PM AEST
To: John Davidson <info@johndavidson.com.au>
Subject: Re: Just keeping in touch with our Bougainville network

Hi Davo

What  a great read from you once again and loved hearing that you have once again been back to Bougainville albeit with sadness to say farewell to Tony Korokoro.

Thank you for bringing to us all the news of Bougainville and information and hope that this beautiful place will once again return to prosperity and offer both educational and employment together with  tourism benefits to its people.  

We wish you well with your scheduled  surgery Davo - it will be a hard task to keep you down for any length of time - just for a change you might have to listen to those offering advice fro a full recovery.

We will be thinking of you - good luck for a great recovery - our kind regards to both you and  Christine

Best Wishes
Sue & Bill Brittain

Responses to previous circulars:
David Bach

Hi Davo,
Very sad to hear of John's death. I remember receiving a hand written letter from him in January 1990. He had written it in December, 1989 whilst still at Loloho Power Station. He was one of the last to leave - flown by helicopter to Aropa to be evacuated from the island. By the time I read the letter he was in Melbourne. We employed him as a Senior Project Engineer at Gove, working specifically on SPS projects. He reported to me for about 2 years. Always the quiet achiever, he came to my office one day and tendered his resignation. I didn't see it coming and refused to accept it without a 'fight' - he was to good to lose. He wanted a role in the Power Station and by day's end (with the assistance of Alan Dundas and Bill Taylor) a position for him was established. Within a few years he was Power Station Manager. John was the best thing that happened to that Power Station in the 90's.
Regards David

Subject; Bruce Brown R I P

Thank you, Lindsay, yes there were very few major mining construction sites in South East Asia and in the Islands Region where Bruce did not grace them with his presence. For a long time he called Indo China his home. His brother Max and his nephews were spectacularly successful businessmen on heavy construction works, in the same vicinity.  I enjoyed many conversations with Bruce but I only met with him the once, face to face and this was in a bar in Samarinda.  Bruce leaves behind an extended family including Max`s sons and their families.  Our condolences are with them during this difficult time.

Also thank you to David Sellen.


From: Lindsay Fraser-Byass
Subject: RE: Bruce Brown

Hi mate.
It is a sad day when part of the old teams reduces in number.
I worked with Bruce on many projects in PNG(Lihir,Kutubu, POM),Indonesia (Sumatra,Batu Hijau) and Aus.(Tarong power station) to name a few.

Bruce went to PNG as a young bloke and after a bit got a job as a grader operator with the PWD around POM.
I have an idea but not 100% that Bruce went to Bougainville in the early days working for Theiss at the concentrator bulk earthworks.
 Bruce was extremely well known in the industry and a colourful character as well as a wonderful storyteller.
I will drop a line to those I can who may not have been brought up to date.
Lindsay

Regards
Davo

From: Sellen, David
Subject: Bruce Brown

Dear John,
Good morning.

I have been trying to work out a method of letting people of our calibre know that Bruce Brown passed away, in Laos on the 4th June 2016.
I have just been onto your web site and tried to find a place to announce this news, I am sure you know of a way.

I would appreciate it if you do not post my e-mail address.

Best Regards,

David E Sellen


From: Les Bertossi
Subject: RE: My Bougainville visit
Hello John ,
Hope all is well with you a great read below many Thanks , would you have any other contact details for Simeon "In Section 10, Arawa I visited an old football mate in Simeon Sarea " . Last time I was there Buka I tried to find him but with no luck .

I was on the waste dump that day when he and Mike Worthey were there ,just as Mike was shot I drove up on to the Dump in a R190 I could see Mike was down  the rebels ripping his shoes off and Simeon running towards me with a couple of operators who were there driving machines building the airstrip  they clammered aboard sitting outside on the engine covers  Simeon had blood streaming from his eye I did a quick turn around and headed off the Waste dump real quick badly smoking the front brakes of the truck as I still had a full load of dirt in the back .

We got to a safe spot away and called up for the Defence force who arrive pretty quickly then with Jeff Rowe and Peter Booth we drove back up with the Defence force people the rebels were gone by this time,  for the next couple of minutes  the Army raked the bush with gunfire around the waste dump .

Jeff did a quick check of pulse on Mike then we picked him up put him into the ute and took off back to the Medical clinic where we wheeled him into the clinic and Doc Lorry I think it was did a check and pronounced him dead .

I have met Simeon once since that day when he was getting treatment in Brisbane on his eye about 1990/91 if you have a phone number or Email address I would like to contact him . (Les, i have all of Simeon`s contacts. Danni, pls send to Les)

Have a  plan to go back to Buka in November with Sid Bond, Oscar's Son, who still has the plantation there. . 

Cheers Les

From: Russell Gill
Subject: Re: Reunion

Hello from wet Cairns, John,
Sorry not to make it down for the reunion this time. We are sprinkling Vic Smith's ashes in Sydney Harbour on July 29th. Also present will be Ted & Coral Tame, Shirley & George Thring and Gay & Rick Holmes. Afterwards, a long lunch at Doyle's at Watsons Bay.
I had lunch up here at Cazalys with Rhonda & George on Mothers Day. They were up for Alex Georgi's wife's birthday. Looking forward to seeing Barry & Rhonda Deans up here for the AFL match in July; GC Suns v Western Bulldogs. Usually John & Yvonne Gretton come up from Townsville for this match, but this year they will be away in their caravan. All are Bulldogs members.
You sure had a great trip to Bougainville. My good friend, Anthony Nangore, from Torokina has worked in maintenance at Buka hospital since he sailed out of Kieta on MV Sankamap in 1990. You met Robert Sawa too. Myself, the Fragnito's, Mike Herrington, Vic Smith and Robbie Quodling all went up to Buka for Robert's wedding in the 1980's.
I remember Simeon Sarea well. He was a wantok of my good friends Amos Masian  and his brother Busun, sadly both now deceased. Patrick Itta's daughter Genavieve (Genna) was working at Highlands Kainantu mine near Gusap and Ramu when I was there, 2005 to 2008.
I met Jocelyn Perry in the shops here two weeks ago. Must call her and see if Arthur has come up to the hospital here yet.
I will be driving down later this year, and will catch up with Pat & Margaret Beston  and Susie & Noel Everon at the Sunshine Coast.
Should definitely be at the reunion next year.
Regards,
Russ

Left to right August 2016 - Phillip (Fonso's son), John Feltham, Graham Buckland, Fonso, Luke Forrester, Jessie (Luke's step-son) and, John (Geo) Gretton . Note; the cameraman was legendary, Stan Neal.
Adam Grasior and Mike Herrington
Charlie, Helene and Michelle at Loloho Beach
Construction of the Sak Sak on Harvey Moses' land
Charlie with the Big Man from Rorovana

No comments:

Post a Comment